Caffeinated Dreaming

In order to see, one must first Believe...

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nightingale

When i was little my mother used to sing me to bed everynight. Songs so beautiful i could drown in her voice, happy, safe. As i grew into elementry school i would sit on the swings at recess and sing. That's all i would do. While the other kids ran and played. I guess looking back it was a mistake, a wasted oportunity. But now, singing is all that i am. When i was hurt or scared, instead of running to my parents to be comforted, embaressed by my weaknesses i would sing, soft songs until the sadness ebbed away, curled up in the warmth and comfort of a song, until there was only the music left. When i was happy, i would sing, and the song would lift me up, embody the celebration in my soul. As i got older, joined choir, i found others who shared this love of song, saw the beauty it posessed. And we sang togeather, happy, united in this magic. Singing, music, is my life. It is a part of me, like the french language, and cooking, something that is uniquely mine. No matter what happens, it is there. Always. I may not be the best at singing. I may not even be that good. But it never mattered to me. Because the way it made me feel, beautiful, like nothing could touch me, that was all i cared about. So now, when people ask me why i sing so often, even in class, or tell me to stop because "im too good" i just smile and laugh and say, what else is there? It is me. Its who i am. And i wouldnt change that. Not for the world. Because singing is the one thing that lets me feel free. Feel like myself. Me, and me alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment!